Rules for Appropriate Internet Usage
These are guidelines to prevent the loss of computer privileges at Southern Wake Academy:
• Students must not engage in activities designed for the specific purpose of bypassing the security systems. Anything that disrupts the function of the computer system(s) will result in disciplinary action.
• Students may not have in their possession any item which can be used for the purpose of bypassing computer security.
• Students should never use the computers to engage in activities which may be in violation of either federal or state law.
• Any use of Southern Wake computers must be used for school purposes only.
• Do not use a computer to harm other people or their work.
• Do not use the computer to access any social media, unless related to a school activity expressly authorized by the teacher.
• Appropriate online behavior, including interacting with other individuals on social networking websites and in chat rooms, must follow appropriate language and behavior as outlined in SWA’s Student Code of Conduct.
• While interacting with others on the computer, students must follow bullying awareness and appropriate responses and appropriate interactions.
• Do not damage/deface the computer system and/or any other technology equipment and/or the network in any way.
• Do not view, send or display offensive materials.
• Do not share your password with another person.
• Do not trespass in another user’s folders, work or files.
• Be ethical and courteous, do not send hate, harassing, or obscene mail, discriminatory remarks or demonstrate other antisocial behaviors.
• Do not use the Internet for any illegal activities; illegal activities include, but are not limited to: libel, unauthorized entry into computers, or deliberate vandalism or destruction of computer files.
• Understand that impersonation and anonymity are not permitted. I must take responsibility for my actions and words.
• Understand that inappropriate Internet searches are violation of the Student Handbook, as is use of personal email, instant messaging, Myspace, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or any social networking websites that have not been school approved.
• The students’ parents or guardian is responsible for supervising and monitoring all computer usage that occurs outside the SWA Network.
• I will be polite to other people when writing to them (or talking to them) while I am on the Internet. I will not use curse words or any language that my teacher or parent would not want me to use in my classroom.
• I will never give my name, my home address, any personal information about me or my family, or my telephone number to anyone I write to or talk with on the Internet. I know that almost anyone I contact is a stranger to me, and that I don’t share personal information with strangers no matter how nice they seem to be.
• I know that I must never tell a friend what that password is. My password should be known only by me. And I know that I should never use a password for myself if that password belongs to someone else.
BE PREPARED to be held accountable for your actions and for the loss of privileges and/or disciplinary actions(s) if the Rules of Appropriate Use are violated. This may include suspension, expulsion from SWA, or referral to appropriate local, state or federal authorities.
Because of the ever changing nature of technology, not all possible violations can be covered in this policy. Nevertheless, SWA is ready to take immediate action when individuals violate system integrity, Student Code of Conduct, or the rights of members of the community.