SWA’s Exceptional Children’s program provides services to ensure that all students acquire the cognition, readiness, and character to achieve their learning potential.
- Provides a continuum of services based on individual needs.
- Demonstrates commitment and dedication to ensure access to the general curriculum.
- Develops individualized student plans as determined by data collection and teacher and parent input.
- Applies research based interventions and methodology.
- Encourages parent participation in the team process of individual program development as well as involvement in school-related activities.
- Provides support to students and families throughout their time at SWA
- Ensures an inclusive and positive environment for all students at SWA, both academically and socially.
A student suspected of having an educational disability is referred to the MTSS at his/her school. Interventions are identified and implemented to assist the student’s academic, behavioral, and social/emotional needs. Parents are notified when students are referred to the team. Parents are involved in the Tier 3 process. Please consult the school for more details about this process. Link : https://files.nc.gov/dpi/Images/districtsschools/support/finalfamilymtss.png
NC Parent Handbook link: https://ec.ncpublicschools.gov/parent-resources/ecparenthandbook.pdf
NC Parent Handbook Spanish Version link: https://ec.ncpublicschools.gov/parent-resources/ecspanishhandbook.pdf
People First Language Chart link:
ECAC link:( resource center for parents with students with disabilities)
Family Support Network of NC link: https://fsnnc.org/network
EC Director Contact
Dr. Tom Miller